I spent a few weeks researching all possible avenues for me to study Interior Design, my only catch being that I work full-time, have a two year old son and my time to study is very limited. Studying through correspondence at this stage would be my best option, but I had to make sure that it was still a credible course, packed with as much education as possible, and with everything being online, access to tutors and fellow students was important.
To be honest, I battled trying to make heads and tails of which associations or organisations mattered and that I should be linked to, so I based my decision purely on course material. Whether or not I am signed up to the top communities was not my priority at this stage, I just wanted to learn.
It came down to two potential options, which I thought were both strong contenders, but in the end chose to study towards a Diploma in Interior Design through the Interior Design Institute. The Institute is international with a local office based at Design Quarter in Fourways, Johannesburg. The pros for me were that:
- The course modules offered everything I wanted to learn and more – very comprehensive.
- I could start studying when it suited me and I could complete the course in my own time – albeit they do advise on completing the course within 12 months. I did not want to wait till August or November to start studying. Clearly an impatient student!
- Correspondence with the Institute has been amazing. They called when they said they would, always followed up with an email and even after registering, I noted straight away that the response from the tutors has been helpful and it is not an automated bot that is responding.
- I have just completed module one and the material provided has been interesting and the assignment was fun to complete without feeling tedious and demanding.
- Flexible payment options are available.
I cannot say that this is THE course for you, should you be looking to explore the world of interior design, but I will say that they are worth looking into if you are. Each person has different requirements, so it really is best to do the homework upfront.
You can reach the Interior Design Institute by clicking here.